Development and Training of Employees
A significant role in the system of human resource development of the Bank is assigned to the continuous development and improvement of knowledge and skills of its employees, which is based on strategic goals and business tasks of divisions.
In 2019, the Bank’s employees completed training in the following areas:
- Professional training aimed at studying products, services, internal processes, work methods, and technologies
- Professional training governed by the Russian laws
- Training in communication, management competence, and business skills
Increasing the level of employee knowledge and skills development was organized by the external and internal resources.
The Bank has implemented and runs on a permanent basis a basic training for new employees of the business lines that will further start working with bank customers. This training is based on the career models and includes the key aspects of work of the employees in the relevant positions. Training is held personally or remotely (distance courses, webinars). Basic training in 2019 was held for the employees of Retail business, Underwriting Department, Collections Department. In 2019, about 2,300 participants completed different basic training programs.
Active use of remote training channels and active use of WebTutor opportunities has become an important composite part of the training. In 2019, distance courses were completed more than 4,200 times, which was 20% more than in 2018.
|Training programs||Program description||Result|
|Training program for Retail business employees||A set of in-person training, webinars, and distance courses on products and sales for employees of additional offices|| |
|Training program for Underwriting Department employees||A set of basic and module-based training for new and existing employees. The program includes in-person training and individual work with a tutor as well as regular knowledge checkups to support the level of knowledge of employees.|| |
|Training program for Collections Department employees||A set of basic and module-based training for new and existing employees. The program includes in-person training and individual work with a trainer and tutors as well as regular knowledge checkups to support the level of knowledge of employees|| |
The succession pool is a site for internal training of promising employees for further career development. Succession candidates shall complete a module-based competence development program. In 2019, all succession candidates successfully completed the final defense, and most of them got a promotion to managerial positions.
In 2019, the business skills learning system was based on a competence approach according to the implemented model of general banking competence for employees and leader competence for Bank managers.
The following training programs were implemented:
- «MKB Success Academy» consisting of 11 training programs in different subject areas
- «Leadership Academy» consisting of 4 programs for training and development of leader competences
- Customized training of employees of business units in sales and negotiation skills and interaction with customers
All aforesaid programs allow the employees of different Bank divisions to increase their professional level, work on the development of corporate and management competence, and share their experience with work fellows in the Bank. 2,475 participants took part in the programs in total. Program participants highly appreciated the level of organization and process of activities (9.63 on a scale of one to ten).
|Training programs||Program description|
|The «Effective Feedback» program (Leadership Academy)||The program is aimed at studying feedback delivery methods and using them to increase interaction efficiency and performance efficiency of employees.|
|The «Situation Leadership» program (Leadership Academy)||The program is aimed at building knowledge and skills of managers in the application of the situation leadership methods in the effective management of a team of employees.|
|The «Basics of Effective Management» program (Leadership Academy)||The program allows elaboration of the «Management Cycle» structure and the key functions of a manager.|
|The «Team Building and Development» program (Leadership Academy)||The program is aimed at forming knowledge and skills of managers in the field of team building and development in their divisions to increase their performance efficiency.|
|Program for the development of management competences for managers of IT division||Development of staff recruitment skills for managers of IT division|
|Leadership Academy open programs||A series of short-term training aimed at increasing professional skills and management competence of managers, a site for sharing experience with coworkers. Subject areas of training: time management, management of different types of employees, basics of personal efficiency, effective communications in a team, negotiations, holding meetings, etc.|
|Open programs of MKB Success Academy||Training in such subject areas as business communications, personal efficiency, time management, elocution, etc.|
The «Succession» program was implemented to prepare for the positions of Members of the Management Board and to transfer knowledge, experience, and skills to the employees who may hold key positions in the future, to involve the management of the Bank in development of promising managers.
Period: June 2019–June 2020.
The program comprised the following stages:
- Selection of participants (The Personnel Committee prepared and approved the list of succession candidates (persons))
- Evaluation procedures
- Holding Module 1 of the development and training program
The performance management system is used in the Bank to ensure the uniform approaches toward the development of employees, assessment of their performance and corporate competence, structuring of relations between managers and their subordinates, remuneration and retention of employees in the Bank.
In 2019, the Bank launched the Performance Management (PM) system. Within the frames of PM:
- the Annual Assessment Regulation was developed and approved;
- all system stages were automated;
- all system participants were informed of and trained in PM.
A full Performance Management cycle for employees was developed and implemented. Coverage: about 1,500 employees.
Within the frames of this cycle:
- Goal setting
- Formation of the development strategy and goals of the Bank for a year; decomposition and task setting based on the SMART principle to the level of divisions/employees
- Creation of development plans/creation of personal development plans (PDP) based on goals set
- Interim assessment
- Determining performance efficiency of employees based on half-year results
- Analysis of PDP implementation, delivery of feedback, and adjustment of goals
- Assessment follow-up
- Summary of employee’s work results for a year, collection of feedback, inter alia, on the achieved level of competences under development, rating
- Confirming the rating at the committee meeting with the superior managers, taking managerial decisions, including payment of variable remuneration
Execution of the PDP is one of the key actions in PM.
A personal development plan is a list of actions aimed at increasing performance efficiency of an employee, developing corporate and professional competences.
PDP is formed on the basis of competence assessment and with due regard to the demands of an employee and the company; it is an element of nonfinancial motivation and increases loyalty and quality of work performed. The plan may not only contain an increase in the level of knowledge, but it also may set the task to perform some special projects.
- An employee development tool
- An element of nonfinancial motivation
- To increase loyalty and quality of work performed
Activities planned by the employees under PDP form the basis for planning and implementing training in terms of:
- Subject areas of training
- Development and updating of programs
- Extension of the list of programs
- Attraction and development of expert reviews in the Bank
Plans for the development of the training system in the Bank for 2020:
- Implementation of the training and development program for the managerial staff of the Bank
- Extending the subject areas of programs for employees and managers of departments, divisions, and groups to improve knowledge and business skills
- Implementing the buddy system for the front-office employees of Retail business
- Extending modern distance-learning tools (development and implementation of interactive distance courses, electronic simulators to develop software operation skills, etc.)
Automation of HR processes and service digitalization is the main area to be improved for the purpose of enhanced business efficiency of the HR management function. Process automation will speed up the time of taking personnel decisions and will increase the availability of HR services for employees.
WebTutor platform is the key element of the system. In 2019, we automated the processes of personnel onboarding, training, and assessment. As of the end of 2019, the employees had access to the following functions:
- Personnel onboarding
- 360 competence assessment for all employees and managers, a full Performance Management cycle
- Training: selection of training programs, filing an application for training, long-term planning, selection of training formats
In 2020, it is planned to extend programs and training formats, to automate the organization of external learning, and to carry out integration with the personnel selection module.
Alpina Digital (E-library)
Starting from 2019, all MKB employees received a unique opportunity to have access to the electronic library Alpina Digital at any convenient time and from any device.
Books are grouped by MKB competences. There are more than 2,000 business books in text and audio formats in the e-library: management, marketing, leadership, and personal efficiency summaries. Among the authors there are Stephen R. Covey, Gleb Arkhangelsky, Ichak Adizes, Irina Khakamada, Daniel Pink, Nikita Nepryakhin, Richard Branson, Svetlana Ivanova, and others. Besides, it is possible to see video lectures on the topics, study documents on IT technologies, and view electronic courses.